EuroFIR AISBL is the only independent food composition resource in Europe bringing together food composition datasets from 26 European Compiler Institutions, USA, Canada, Japan and New Zealand – at a single point of entry – as well as working with INFOODS outside Europe. We are recognised as an independent resource promoting trust throughout a proven network of contacts facilitating access and cooperation amongst national food composition database compiler organisations and other key users including the food industry, research, education and policy-makers. EuroFIR AISBL provides:
- A flexible, cost-effective range of benefits including access to food composition data (nutrients and bioactives)
- Bespoke training and consultancy, directly or via the Membership
- Research and development opportunities through the European Commission’s FP7 and Horizon 2020 Programmes, and others (only to Associate and Full members!)
- Access to a European network of food composition data compilers, stakeholders, food industry and other contacts worldwide
EuroFIR AISBL members will benefit from a range of opportunities, which are partly described below.
FoodEXplorer includes options to search for food by name, food groups and the most common LanguaL food description. FoodEXplorer is much more powerful, and has the unique ability to compare component values between foods from the several countries. Results can be downloaded as a Food Data Transport Package (FDTP).
FoodBasket supports all users, especially dieticians, with the calculation of composite and prepared foods. It runs on mobile devices (e.g. smart phones and tablets) as well as desktop computers, and the user-friendly, multi-lingual interface enables users to select any food composition dataset linked with FoodEXplorer
The EuroFIR eBASIS (Bioactive Substances in Food Information Systems) is a unique Internet deployed food composition and biological effects database for plant-based bioactive compounds with putative health benefits.
ePlantLIBRA is a database containing information about plant- and plant-food supplements specifically bioactive compounds in botanicals and herbal extracts with putative health benefits and adverse effects.
- EuroFIR repository services
- The EuroFIR Document Repository provides access to published and unpublished source documents, as well as making documents produced by members more readily available to users.
- The EuroFIR Data Repository will make available computer files of food composition data extracted from source documents, including the grey literature such as analytical reports and posters that will also be included in the Document Repository.
- EuroFIR thesauri
- The proposal for structure and detail of a EuroFIR standard on food composition data specifies eight thesauri (i.e. controlled vocabularies), for documenting the value of a component in a given food. The description of the food is regulated through the LanguaL Thesaurus.